In this episode of our healthy living series, Health Coach Sheri and Nurse Jamie teach us how to make spaghetti squash! A delicious , low carb alternative to spaghetti! See the recipe below!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1lb ground Turkey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 4 cups your favorite marinara pasta sauce
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise with sharp knife. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side up in heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Brush squash with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until fork pierces flesh of the squash easily. If squash seems to be drying out while baking, brush with an additional tablespoon of olive oil.
- While Squash is baking, in 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add ground turkey; cook until brown. During last minute of cooking, stir in thyme. Add tomato sauce to pan and simmer.
- Remove squash from oven; cool just enough able to handle, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using fork, scrape flesh from squash into “noodles” onto serving platter. If some of the strands clump or gather together, simply separate using your hands.
- Ladle heated meat sauce over spaghetti squash. Top with mushrooms and a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese.
Check out more of our Healthy Compass posts here!