Dreaming in the New Year
By Glory Eshareturi
Dreams. Direction. Destiny. If you’ve been around Compass for any amount of time, I’m sure you’ve heard those words, in that order. It’s sort of the mission statement around here. For Staff, that often looks like finding out what a Client dreams of doing, helping them find some direction, then walking alongside the client into what they were destined to do or become.
We talk about dreams a lot because they are an important piece in us attaining our goals and finding our destiny. They are a huge part of having a full life. I think everyone has a dream. I think there is something no matter how big or how small that makes each person’s heart beat a little faster. There is something in this world that you were meant to do. Something that makes you come alive!
It’s a new year! It’s 2018 and what better time to chase your dreams than now! If you have a dream that seems like a far off, distant fairytale, keep reading. I’m going to give you 5 practical ways to pursue your dreams in the New Year.
- One Day at a Time – The best way to start chasing your dreams is to take it one day at a time. Start with baby steps. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your dreams won’t be either! One of my dreams is to sing and write songs that influence people. I could easily give up on that dream because I wasn’t receiving an award at the Grammy’s last week, but I’ve only just started! It’s important to take things one day at a time and not become discouraged when you’re not an overnight success. One of my baby steps in 2018 has been to start having regular writing sessions. There will be many more Grammy ceremonies in the years to come and if I take it step by step, I’ll get there one day!
- Positive Vibes – A wise man once said, “Hang around people who throw gasoline on the flames of your passions, and water on the flames of your fears.” Encouragement is huge! You need the positive encouragement of those around you to keep you going. There will be people who will say “You can’t”. You want to be around the people who say “I believe in you! You can do it!” Those voices of encouragement are so necessary in times when you don’t feel like you can do it. When it comes to the world of chasing your dreams, positive and supportive vibes are the ones you want around.
- It’s Not Too Late – It is NEVER too late to go after your dreams! Oftentimes this is the first thing someone will say when asked why they haven’t done that thing they’ve wanted to do for so long. Sometimes family or time or age may be used as an excuse, but the truth is, the only thing holding you back from your dreams is you! You’re never too old or too young, an it’s never too late to start going after that thing you’ve always wanted to do.
- Prepare to Fail – Success never comes without some failure along the way. Will Smith, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, all have gone after and accomplished big success in their lifetimes. But each and every one of them will tell you that success doesn’t come without some failures along the way. Oprah was fired from her first television job as a news anchor. Bill Gates dropped out of college and was the owner of a failed business. Be prepared to fail and when you fall, be sure to get back up again. Failure is just another stepping stone to success.
- Stay Focused – Focus is so important. When you have an idea of what you want to achieve, it can be easy to get sidetracked with other things. One of the big distractions is worrying what others might think or comparing yourself to someone else. If you believe in your own ability and focus on the fact that you are the only you this world is ever going to see, you can stay focused and achieve your dream in a way that only you can!
So there you have it! I hope you take a step to go after your dreams today. As for me, I’m going to keep writing songs, keep singing, and keep taking those baby steps to achieve my dreams like only I can.
What are some of your dreams and what are you doing to go after them? Let us know in the comments!